Doujinshi ClubInterested in doujinshi but have no idea how to start

• MidoriPanzer
    MidoriPanzerRegular Boarder • lv5
    Offline2 svar
    2 månader sedan
    I just recently got the urge to start collecting doujinshi .I've bought a few at a local convention where i live but aside from that I'm not sure where to go from there. What are some good resources to find stuff you like? I just placed my first order with mandrake and trying to look at other sites is quite confusing.
  • maritimeMeow
    maritimeMeowRegular Boarder • lv7
    Offline6 svar
    2 månader sedan • Uppdaterad 2 månader sedan
    There's Mandarake like you said, and surugaya and yahoo auctions are good places to look too. You'll need to use a proxy service for suru and y!a since they don't ship outside Japan. Or to the U.S., at least. The Japanese sites for Rakuten and Mercari also might have some stuff and I'm pretty sure you need a proxy for those too. Some of these services let you look for goods on their site with the option of viewing them in English which makes things a lot less of a hassle. Fromjapan and ZenMarket have this and probably several others do too

I've sometimes had luck finding rarer doujins on goodsrepublic/doujinrepublic but only as a last resort since they can be pretty pricey.

Not a doujin expert so there are probably a bunch of other sites to look at but I hope this helps point you in the right direction :)
  • Lina
    LinaRegular Boarder • lv13
    Offline500 svar
    2 månader sedan
    maritimeMeow2 månader sedan#77837724There's Mandarake like you said, and surugaya and yahoo auctions are good places to look too. You'll need to use a proxy service for suru and y!a since they don't ship outside Japan. Or to the U.S., at least. The Japanese sites for Rakuten and Mercari also might have some stuff and I'm pretty sure you need a proxy for those too. Some of these services let you look for goods on their site with the option of viewing them in English which makes things a lot less of a hassle. Fromjapan and ZenMarket have this and probably several others do too
    I've sometimes had luck finding rarer doujins on goodsrepublic/doujinrepublic but only as a last resort since they can be pretty pricey.
    Not a doujin expert so there are probably a bunch of other sites to look at but I hope this helps point you in the right direction :)

Suruga-ya does have an English website that ships to the US (suruga-ya.com/en), but they don't have as much stock as the JP site.

The sites I've used to find doujin are Mandarake, Suruga-ya (Both JP and EN sites), and Toranoana. As the previous user mentioned you can find doujin on Mercari and Yahoo Auctions Japan. Otamart has doujin as well and I believe Melonbooks. All of the previous sites with the exception of Mandarake and Suruga-ya's EN site require a proxy.
  • Majikaru-Rin
    Majikaru-RinRegular Boarder • lv22
    Offline23 svar
    Toranoana is my go to personally, particularly for pre-ordering doujinshi. I use Big in Japan's forwarding service to order from them :)

I also recommend checking out BOOTH (they require a proxy or forwarding service like Toranoana).

maritimeMeow2 månader sedan#77837724I've sometimes had luck finding rarer doujins on goodsrepublic/doujinrepublic but only as a last resort since they can be pretty pricey.
    I second this sentiment, I've found a few older and hard to find doujins there. Just do be aware of the high prices.
  • Einn
    EinnRegular Boarder • lv9
    Offline5 svar
    2 månader sedan
    I collect doujinshi actively on a monthly basis, so here are my experiences. I both buy directly and via proxy.

I use FromJapan as a proxy to get doujinshi from Yahoo auctions, Surugaya, Rakuten and sometimes sites like booth.pm if it's an item I think won't sell out. I like FJ's site and system and the shipping has been decent. No fee on combining shipments.

I buy directly on Toranoana and BOOTH while using my Friends Tenso warehouse address when I can't risk pre-orders selling out while waiting for proxies to bill me. Some circles I follow sell out within an hour or two so I can't wait. Tenso does have a fee for combining packages, but Toranoana's system lets me get off with maybe one or two combines a month. Since the Tenso is my irl friends one, and I order for us both on my Toranoana, we save even more on shipping etc.

On Toranoana if you register and do direct purchases you can have your orders sent out in three ways: "as soon as the order or individual item is in stock", "in bulk once per week" or "in bulk twice per month". I use twice per month usually in order to save on shipping. The downside is that Toranoana a Japanese only site, pretty much. It's can also be a bit tricky to register but there are guides out there. Chrome's auto translate feature can help if you need it. I love using Tora since I can also get email notifications on new doujinshi from circles, series or pairings.

Another place where some circles put pre-orders is Melonbooks/Fromage. I don't use it too much so I'm not registered on it, since most circles have BOOTH or Tora, so I usually just use FJ if I do need to order here.
  • WindsorSeven
    WindsorSevenSHSL VegoneVery Important Boarder • lv34
    Offline2,087 svar
    I use Surugaya and Big in Japan's forwarding service. It's easy once you set up the address and payment. To find out about what's being released I'll browse Pixiv, Otaku Republic, or even this site. I have an alert set up for when doujinshi (specifically art books) are added to the db.

Majikaru-Rin2 månader sedan#77837995 I've found a few older and hard to find doujins there. Just do be aware of the high prices.
    As far as I can tell, OR's stock is just Suru's, isn't it? You should be able to find whatever they're selling cheaper.
    https://s33.postimg.cc/glsls0fy7/image.png
  • MidoriPanzer
    MidoriPanzerRegular Boarder • lv5
    Offline2 svar
    2 månader sedan
    i've also seen something of Neokyo how is that for proxy services? What would be the easiest way to look up circles?
  • ds777fighter
    ds777fighterRegular Boarder • lv5
    Offline6 svar
    2 månader sedan
    When looking for new doujin, I look at toranoana and melonbooks. I've used the proxy service GOODY-JAPAN a few times and they've never done me wrong. One transaction for 13 doujinshi was for 10,074 yen ($94.44) and with the bank transfer fee of 180 yen ($1.68), their service fee of 602 yen ($5.64), and international shipping of 2320g of stuff at 5,200 yen ($48.75), my total was 16,056 yen or $150.51 for 13 doujin from Toranoana. That's about $11.58 per doujin, which I consider pretty good.

I've also ordered from OtakuRepublic / DoujinRepublic. OtakuRepublic has a lot of yaoi while DoujinRepublic has a little bit of everything. They have free shipping and you might be able to find a good price, especially on older/rarer doujins. They also typically run coupons, like when they ran $8 off any order back in December. It's not much, but it's something. I did an order of 4 doujin (mostly omnibuses/anthologies) which cost $71.16, with that including shipping and taxes. That's about $17.79 per doujin, which is more than the proxy, but that's why I only order doujin from there I cannot find anywhere else.

I will note OtakuRepublic/DoujinRepublic "gets" all of their used doujins from sites like mandarake. I found this used doujin on mandarake for 200 yen ($1.87) and the same doujin on DoujinRepublic for $20.86. So there's about $19 difference which you can consider as being part of any taxes, service fees, domestic shipping, and international shipping. Whether that's worth it is up to you.
  • iSkadi
    iSkadiRegular Boarder • lv12
    Offline4 svar
    2 månader sedan
    If you need an event proxy - that will go to the events and purchase event exclusive items. I can recommend Japan Proxy Service. Please read her FAQ before placing an order. I have ordered a lot of doujinshis from her that came with the vanity item due to being bought at the events.

There is an old doujinshi database that is running on bots at the moment, and some few mods and users. If you would like to search for the circle or artist/author.

I normally use this to find what doujinshis I am missing from a specific circle/artist that I am really interested in.

Otaku Republic/Doujin Republic also do proxy services for purchase items online for you. Just note that the service is quite pricey as well, but they are really fast at getting to it.
  • trafto
    traftoRegular Boarder • lv12
    Offline1 svar
    1 månad sedan
    Make sure to checkout Melonbooks first as I found out they have more exclusitivies than Toranoana. Often the artists that I follow (a lot) don't have their books on Toranoana.
  • Elise_Grimwald
    Elise_GrimwaldGenius PuppeteerRegular Boarder • lv16
    Offline1,148 svar
    1 månad sedan
    All of the ones I have were from Melonbooks, Toranoana, or Mandarake. I've seen them on eBay as well, but they are always really marked up in terms of price.
  • Gå med i klubben för att vara med i diskussionen.
  • 11 svar
Japan's #1 Collector Toy Company

Doujinshi Club35