HemForumThread #16732

Doujinshi ClubAnyone ever buy those Toranoana Doujinshi containers?

ReinierReinier1 månad sedanDoujinshi Club

14 svar

• 14 svar
  • ReinierRegular Boarder
    Reinier
    • Nej
    • 9 år sedan
    • Florida
    1 månad sedan • Uppdaterad 23 dagar sedan
    Hello fellow Doujinshi collectors,
    I was wondering if anyone here has tried the Doujinshi containers that they sell on Toranoana?

These are the different styles that ive seen on their website:

Width 245mm x Depth 345mm x Height 210mm. For B5 Doujinshi. Capacity 50 doujinshi.
    Clear: Toranoana
    Blue: Toranoana, Amazon Japan
    Black: Amazon Japan

Amazon Japan International Shipping Rates
    x1 = ¥4,778
    x2 = ¥8,956 (¥600 savings)
    x4 = ¥17,313 (¥450 savings over just ordering x1)

Width 181mm x Depth 370mm x Height 124mm Long Book Tote (Note: Height is too small for manga sized books because their 6 in and this is 4.8 in)
    Clear: Toranoana, Amazon Japan

Width 210mm x Depth 528mm x Height 143mm Long Book Tote (5.6 in height on this one, still short of 6 in needed for manga sized books)
    Clear: Toranoana, Amazon Japan

The questions that I have about these are:

1) Has anyone had these shipped overseas? how much was shipping?
    2) Can you ship them with Registered SAL? how many fit per box?
    3) Which ones do you use for what size books?
    4) Are they any good? in terms of sturdiness

thanks for reading

Reinier

Edit: Added Amazon Japan Links and international shipping rates from Amazon Japan for other people that might be interested in finding out the same information.
  • darkfaderloliconRegular Boarder
    darkfader
    • Nej
    • 10 år sedan
    • Netherlands
    24 dagar sedan • Uppdaterad 24 dagar sedan
    Reinier (1 månad sedan) #70072893Hello fellow Doujinshi collectors,
    I was wondering if anyone here has tried the Doujinshi containers that they sell on Toranoana?
    These are the different styles that ive seen on their website:
    Tall Big Tote (Clear): ec.toranoana.jp...
    Tall Big Tote (Blue): ec.toranoana.jp...
    Width 181mm x Depth 370mm x Height 124mm Long Book Tote (Note: Height is too small for manga sized books because their 6 in and this is 4.8 in)
    Blue: ec.toranoana.sh...
    Clear: ec.toranoana.sh...
    Width 210mm x Depth 528mm x Height 143mm Long Book Tote (5.6 in height on this one, still short of 6 in needed for manga sized books)
    Blue: ec.toranoana.jp...
    Clear: ec.toranoana.sh...
    The questions that I have about these are:
    1) Has anyone had these shipped overseas? how much was shipping?
    2) Can you ship them with Registered SAL? how many fit per box?
    3) Which ones do you use for what size books?
    4) Are they any good? in terms of sturdiness
    thanks for reading
    Reinier

These boxes are made by イセトウ (Isetou) and are sold on Amazon.co.jp too.

I can't help you much with shipping questions. I ordered quite (15) some of the B5 size but all via forwarder with consolidation with other items. They can be stacked a bit.
    Perhaps you estimate how many doujinshi will fit:
    PICTURE #1920500
    Some of my favorite circles have more than one box at least...
    At least they are good and sturdy and come with a movable divider/stand.

I have some A6 ones too I just used for other things. I actually wanted some B6 (tankobon instead of bunkobon). But now all my manga are in re-arranged CD/DVD bookshelves anyway because I have over 300 of those.
    Join the Kono Lolicon Domome! and DFC clubs!
    http://files.darkfader.net/anime/files/mfc_sign.gif http://www.xn--tck0g.jp/GLogo.png http://files.darkfader.net/anime/files/sign.png
  • Level4ChaosRegular Boarder
    Level4Chaos
    • Nej
    • 3 år sedan
    • Brisbane, Australia
    23 dagar sedan • Uppdaterad 23 dagar sedan
    Depending on how many you're buying, it might work out cheaper to get them from Otaku Republic, where the shipping is included in the price.

otakurepublic.c...
    otakurepublic.c...

I bought two, and when I looked at how much the postage actually cost to send them (to Australia), they didn't make any profit on them at all.

They're just made of the same kind of plastic as any other storage tub, and I find that the divider is very flimsy if the box is over half full. I mean, it still holds the books up, but it's wobbly.

But yeah, they're a nice size, although I worry that the lid is a little too snug on the books' spines.
  • ReinierRegular Boarder
    Reinier
    • Nej
    • 9 år sedan
    • Florida
    darkfader (24 dagar sedan) #70376345These boxes are made by イセトウ (Isetou) and are sold on Amazon.co.jp too.

HUGE Thanks! I was trying to use google translate to translate from English to Japanese phrases like "Doujinshi storage" or "Plastic Tote" or "book storage" but came up empty handed. The search phrase that you gave me イセトウ (Isetou) pulled them right up on Amazon.co.jp

darkfader (24 dagar sedan) #70376345
    I can't help you much with shipping questions. I ordered quite (15) some of the B5 size but all via forwarder with consolidation with other items. They can be stacked a bit.
    Perhaps you estimate how many doujinshi will fit:
    PICTURE #1920500
    Some of my favorite circles have more than one box at least...
    At least they are good and sturdy and come with a movable divider/stand.
    I have some A6 ones too I just used for other things. I actually wanted some B6 (tankobon instead of bunkobon). But now all my manga are in re-arranged CD/DVD bookshelves anyway because I have over 300 of those.

Thank you for the pictures ive been using these "Really Useful Boxes" from Office Depot:

Manga Book Storage Sized Box: www.officedepot...

Storage box for all other sized books: www.officedepot...

The Really Useful Box totes are really sturdy but their not a 100% exact fit, they leave a little void that you have to fill up with packing paper so that the books dont move around inside of the tote. The manga sized Really Useful Box also only fits 1 row and a half of manga books which isnt really cost effective for the amount of books that it holds.

I am looking forward to trying out the イセトウ (Isetou), ill start out with a few and then expand as I find the ones that work best for me.

Level4Chaos (23 dagar sedan) #70376593Depending on how many you're buying, it might work out cheaper to get them from Otaku Republic, where the shipping is included in the price.
    otakurepublic.c...
    otakurepublic.c...
    I bought two, and when I looked at how much the postage actually cost to send them (to Australia), they didn't make any profit on them at all.
    They're just made of the same kind of plastic as any other storage tub, and I find that the divider is very flimsy if the box is over half full. I mean, it still holds the books up, but it's wobbly.
    But yeah, they're a nice size, although I worry that the lid is a little too snug on the books' spines.

Thanks for the link, those look like the same ones that they sell on Toranoana and Amazon Japan for ¥650 but the price that they have on Otaku Republic is $40 USD each (with free shipping) which sounds pretty high if you need to buy alot of them. I did still find the link helpful though because they mention that the 245 x 345 x 210mm is for B5 Doujinshi with a 50 book capacity.

I was also looking at the other stuff that they have on their "doujinshi supplies" page and they have clear protectors in bulk with free shipping A4 40 Sheets $20 USD, A5 60 Sheets $20 USD, B5 60 sheets $20 USD, although for $20 you might be able to get more sheets somewhere else (maybe Amazon Japan?).
  • ReinierRegular Boarder
    Reinier
    • Nej
    • 9 år sedan
    • Florida
    Just wanted to share this with you guys, while I was browsing the containers that they sell on Amazon Japan with the search phrase that darkfader gave me I found these pretty cool containers for manga sized books (A5 Books), the containers are called Tenma Containers (no not the Tenma from School Rumble) :P

Tenma A5 Book Container on Amazon Japan.

It looks better than the containers that im using right now for A5 Books.

Edit: Ouch, I just checked the international shipping rates for the Tenma Containers

Shipping Rates
    x1 = ¥6,119
    x2 = ¥11,939 (¥299 savings)

Obviously too expensive to ship overseas :-( I edited the original post a bit too, I added the Amazon Japan links and saw how much international shipping was but it doesnt seem worth it due to the shipping prices.
    Level4Chaos
    • Nej
    • 3 år sedan
    • Brisbane, Australia
    23 dagar sedan
    Reinier (23 dagar sedan) #70376940
    I was also looking at the other stuff that they have on their "doujinshi supplies" page and they have clear protectors in bulk with free shipping A4 40 Sheets $20 USD, A5 60 Sheets $20 USD, B5 60 sheets $20 USD, although for $20 you might be able to get more sheets somewhere else (maybe Amazon Japan?).

Honestly, I wish I'd found Otaku Republic's doujinshi supplies before I bought a heap of cover sleeves from CD Japan (which was the only place I could find them at the time). I think they worked out to be around $1 per sleeve after the shipping!

I've never actually looked on Amazon Japan for such things. I imagine they'd be infuriatingly cheap there! Maybe I shouldn't look...
  • darkfaderloliconRegular Boarder
    darkfader
    • Nej
    • 10 år sedan
    • Netherlands
    23 dagar sedan
    Reinier (23 dagar sedan) #70377299
    Tenma A5 Book Container

Ah. I remember I have a few of those too. I must have shipped them indirectly also.
    Join the Kono Lolicon Domome! and DFC clubs!
    http://files.darkfader.net/anime/files/mfc_sign.gif http://www.xn--tck0g.jp/GLogo.png http://files.darkfader.net/anime/files/sign.png
  • ReinierRegular Boarder
    Reinier
    • Nej
    • 9 år sedan
    • Florida
    19 dagar sedan • Uppdaterad 19 dagar sedan
    Level4Chaos (23 dagar sedan) #70377749Honestly, I wish I'd found Otaku Republic's doujinshi supplies before I bought a heap of cover sleeves from CD Japan (which was the only place I could find them at the time). I think they worked out to be around $1 per sleeve after the shipping!
    I've never actually looked on Amazon Japan for such things. I imagine they'd be infuriatingly cheap there! Maybe I shouldn't look...

I was looking at Amazon Japan but the clear book protectors that I saw on there leave a big gap from looking at the reviewers pictures but they definitely are alot cheaper on Amazon Japan, here are a few that I saw:

100 Protectors for ¥788 (#1 Best Seller), 100 Protectors (40m thick, 310mm x 180mm) for ¥1,218, 100 Protectors (40m thick, 470mm x 260mm) for ¥1,848

What I dont like is that they dont label them as A4, A5, B4, B5, etc like on Toranoana and Otaku Republic (probably because the ones on Amazon arent standard sizes?). I tried to look for the Tenma ones that Otaku Republic sells on Amazon Japan but I couldnt find them.

I heard that most people in North America use BCW Comic Book Bags to store doujinshi though (Golden Age, Silver Age, and Treasury Bags), I purchased a few of those BCW bags myself (100 of each) and I plan to try them out sometime this week when I have a chance to see how they fit Japanese Doujinshi.

BCW has their own website where you can order stuff cheaper than on Amazon: www.bcwsupplies... but the BCW style protectors are different than the Japanese protectors because you slide the doujinshi inside of a clear plastic bag instead of being the Japanese style which is more like a book cover that still lets you open the book to look at the pages. The BCW style protectors makes you take the book out of the clear plastic bag to look at it and once its out its totally unprotected until you put it back in its protective bag. Both styles have their pros and cons, the BCW style is good for keeping dust out of the pages inside of the doujinshi if you have them on bookshelves but the Japanese style protectors are better for casual viewing if you have the doujinshi stored inside of a drawer or something where they wont get dust on them. The BCW protectors though have the added benefit that you can add a cardboard "backer board" to the back of the BCW protectors to protect the book inside from bending or getting scuffed up against something, the Japanese protectors are just bare.

darkfader (23 dagar sedan) #70377857Ah. I remember I have a few of those too. I must have shipped them indirectly also.

Did you get them on Amazon Japan? if you did do you know the link?
  • miyariRegular Boarder
    miyari
    • Nej
    • 3 år sedan
    19 dagar sedan
    What is, ultimately, your goal in storage? Are they going packed away somewhere, on a shelf, are you trying to keep them vaulted away, available for reading, etc.?

I wanted to order the Tenma cases but the shipping was just far too high to justify. I saw some boxes at Target that looked like they would hold doujins decently; I'll have to swing by today and grab one to see how it works.

I keep my doujins in magazine files from IKEA, though, no complaints.
    Level4Chaos
    • Nej
    • 3 år sedan
    • Brisbane, Australia
    17 dagar sedan • Uppdaterad 17 dagar sedan
    Reinier (19 dagar sedan) #70526822I was looking at Amazon Japan but the clear book protectors that I saw on there leave a big gap from looking at the reviewers pictures but they definitely are alot cheaper on Amazon Japan, here are a few that I saw:
    100 Protectors for ¥788 (#1 Best Seller), 100 Protectors (40m thick, 310mm x 180mm) for ¥1,218, 100 Protectors (40m thick, 470mm x 260mm) for ¥1,848
    What I dont like is that they dont label them as A4, A5, B4, B5, etc like on Toranoana and Otaku Republic (probably because the ones on Amazon arent standard sizes?). I tried to look for the Tenma ones that Otaku Republic sells on Amazon Japan but I couldnt find them.

Thanks so much for the links! I'll definitely check them out, and hopefully grab some for the weirder sized djs I've got! One in particular is B5 in width, but B6 in height, so I'm thinking it needs a B6 cover that has allowance for a really thick spine.

I never understood the comic bags, until you mentioned the dust on the pages! I want to maul my djs, so I think I'll stick with the covers, but thank you so much for taking the time to explain all of that to me; I really appreciate it!

Oh! The covers I got from Otaku Republic are branded Daiso, if that helps? (We have Daiso stores here in Australia, but sadly, they don't stock anything like that.)
  • ReinierRegular Boarder
    Reinier
    • Nej
    • 9 år sedan
    • Florida
    17 dagar sedan
    miyari (19 dagar sedan) #70576701What is, ultimately, your goal in storage? Are they going packed away somewhere, on a shelf, are you trying to keep them vaulted away, available for reading, etc.?

Right now I have all my doujinshi stored in cardboard boxes in a warehouse facility but I wanted to move them from cardboard boxes to totes or plastic containers because they take up less space than cardboard boxes and probably protect better too. The reason I wanted to store them with the comic bags or covers is to protect them while their inside of the plastic totes/containers. Thinking about it in terms of long term storage and protection I think that the American comic bags might be the best option, I have some that I purchased recently from the BCW website, ill try them out this weekend to see how well they fit Japanese doujinshi.

I might make a blog article after I try them out to help other doujinshi collectors.

miyari (19 dagar sedan) #70576701
    I wanted to order the Tenma cases but the shipping was just far too high to justify. I saw some boxes at Target that looked like they would hold doujins decently; I'll have to swing by today and grab one to see how it works.
    I keep my doujins in magazine files from IKEA, though, no complaints.

Yeah its a good thing that I didnt order the Tenma containers from Toranoana using a proxy because it would have ended up not being worth it when I got the shipping payment request. The "really useful boxes" totes that I purchased in Office Depot fit the large doujinshi's really well (form fitting) without any clear protectors but they dont fit the smaller doujinshi and the thick manga type doujinshi that well. The problem that I see with most of the totes available out there in stores is that they either dont have a flat bottom or have things on the inside that might rub up against the books and scuff them up or that the totes are made out of cheap plastic that bends easily.

If you end up buying some IKEA totes and they work really well I would appreciate it if you could share a picture of how well doujinshi fits inside of the tote.

Level4Chaos (17 dagar sedan) #70646588Thanks so much for the links! I'll definitely check them out, and hopefully grab some for the weirder sized djs I've got! One in particular is B5 in width, but B6 in height, so I'm thinking it needs a B6 cover that has allowance for a really thick spine.
    I never understood the comic bags, until you mentioned the dust on the pages! I want to maul my djs, so I think I'll stick with the covers, but thank you so much for taking the time to explain all of that to me; I really appreciate it!
    Oh! The covers I got from Otaku Republic are branded Daiso, if that helps? (We have Daiso stores here in Australia, but sadly, they don't stock anything like that.)

No problem, im glad that you found the links helpful :-)
  • miyariRegular Boarder
    miyari
    • Nej
    • 3 år sedan
    Reinier (17 dagar sedan) #70675377If you end up buying some IKEA totes and they work really well I would appreciate it if you could share a picture of how well doujinshi fits inside of the tote.

I'll probably take a book out with me to the store and see how it fits. Right now I keep mine in IKEA KVISSLE magazine files, which are nice and sturdy coated steel. There is a gap, of course, which could probably be filled by something mochi plush sized, but I'm not sliding them around much anyway.

ibb.co/z6n5rhq

ibb.co/CKhLVw1

The Golden Age bags/boards fit doujins fine, I'm not sure if any others would fit better, but here's a pic:
    ibb.co/zQyZwnK
  • ReinierRegular Boarder
    Reinier
    • Nej
    • 9 år sedan
    • Florida
    miyari (17 dagar sedan) #70682223I'll probably take a book out with me to the store and see how it fits. Right now I keep mine in IKEA KVISSLE magazine files, which are nice and sturdy coated steel. There is a gap, of course, which could probably be filled by something mochi plush sized, but I'm not sliding them around much anyway.
    https://i.imgur.com/1A9exCH.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/RabakCI.jpg
    The Golden Age bags/boards fit doujins fine, I'm not sure if any others would fit better, but here's a pic:
    https://i.imgur.com/ufdEe8F.jpg

The imgur photos sadly dont work on MFC because they dont allow hotlinking :-( try this host instead, they do allow hotlinking on MFC and their free: imgbb.com/
  • miyariRegular Boarder
    miyari
    • Nej
    • 3 år sedan
    17 dagar sedan
    Thanks, I think I fixed the links? :)
  • 14 svar
  • Gå med i klubben för att vara med i diskussionen.